Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Getting personal...


Anderson has blogged once again. I enjoy reading things that he has written. Apparently, there's a book by Anderson, or at least has mention of his name on it, at Chapters. I must go and check it out soon. I think he has certainly inherited some of his writing talent from both of his parents. This morning I finished reading A Mother's Story by Gloria Vanderbilt. Her writing reminded me of Anderson's. It was so personal. So full of feeling and life. I cried a lot while reading it. It was a sad cry, but also tremendously heartwarming and filled with love.

There was one particular passage that I fell in love with as soon as I read it. It was after Wyatt had been moved into intensive care after his series of heart attacks.

Later, when I was permitted to see Daddy – he was stretched out, his eyes closed, as though dead, surrounded by machines with their chilling staccato beeping, each machine connected to another tube, pounding out indecipherable codes – I took his hand and said, “I love you.” He opened his eyes and looked straight at me. “I know you do,” he said. It was a blessing – the greatest thing he had ever said to me.
There had been times in the sixteen years we had been together, times when we were close, times when I couldn’t break out of the glass bubble when we hadn’t been, times when I thought he didn’t know how much I loved him. But I did. And when he said “I know you do” – I knew that he understood and loved me as no one else ever had.

But enough about Gloria! On to the Coop blog!

I'm always amazed by the simple methods humanity has devised to kill one another.

Something that I have thought about many, many times, Mr. Cooper. I'd elaborate, but that would require me to get my journal from my room. Far too long a walk, now that I've started. So now it's time to discuss last night's broadcast.

The big story last night was the UN observation post in Southern Lebanon hit by an apparent Israeli air strike, and Kofi Annan stating that it was "apparently deliberate." Well, isn't that just interesting? The UN has released that it appeared to be an ariel bomb, those which only Israel possesses. Israel had been conducting air strikes around the area, which has resulted in approximately 14 close calls. A UN general has told the Israeli army about the observation post, about the close calls and to protect the post. That worked really well, didn't it? If it were a rougue missile being shot at from across the border, I could see it hitting the post. But an air strike? When you've been warned about it being there? That seems incredibly suspicious to me. Maybe it is incredibly clever ploy by Hezbollah to attempt making the Israelis look bad in public opinion, I don't know. I still refuse to trust either side.

Another thing that bothers me almost as much as two dead UN observers is why is it necessary for the US to agree to a peaceplan? They're supplying Israel with missiles, for crying out loud! They are outnumbered in international talks, calling for the disarming of Hezbollah before there can be a complete cessation of hostilities. Pretty much everyone else wants a ceasefire to work on the humanitarian crisis, and address the cessation of hositilies. It doesn't make sense to me why the Americans are holding everything back. The US and Britain have already stated that they will not be able to committ troops to an international ground force, though they do support one being deployed, so what is it that is making everyone hold back from going forth with a ceasefire? Is the rest of the world actually, honest-to-god, intimidated by the United States? Are they afraid of what they could do (and I'm thinking more along the lines of sanctions and withdrawing aid than military action) if they disagree and ignore American sentiment? I just don't understand and I'd like to. I think I need to converse with P. Stoffer and J. Stoffer about said issue, and possibly get some insight into the dynamics.

As much as I'm enjoying the coverage on the Middle East crisis, and how intriguing I find it, it's becoming rather repetitive. It seems like they're coming back to the same points, the same people over and over again. How many times can you say the same thing before it's too much? Let's just ask the HeadOn people. They seem to have a formula, which now includes ActivOn.

A sidenote on Iraq: The Tigris River, one part of the Cradle of Civilization, has become a prime spot to dispose of bodies. This reminded me of the Ganges in India, where the people believe in the holiness of the Ganges' waters, and let the bodies go with love. It made me think, has the Tigris become the Unholy Ganges?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Are you being sarcastic or do you seriously not know that Anderson published a book in May?

9:51 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

@ Jennifer: It's not Dispatches. I own that one. Someone saw it this book a store, and told me about it. Immediately, I asked if it was Dispatches, showed a picture of the cover and they said that that wasn't it. They said the cover was black and white, had a picture of Coop on it. She couldn't remember the title, but knew it wasn't Dispatches. I don't know if it was by Anderson, or if he was just kind of in it, but I intend to find out.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hmmm...his mom wrote a book called "A Mother's Story" that had a black and white cover with the picture of a little boy, but that's his brother Carter.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

@ Jennifer: I know. I got it from the library yesterday and finished reading it this morning. I don't think that was the one she saw though, because she recognized it as Anderson and it also had his name on the cover. Once I find out what it was, if I can find it at all (I have the book store it was in and location roughly), I'll post it if it's of any interest.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm thinking that it might be a book published in 2005, "Our Stories: CNN's Katrina Diary".

Looking for an image, but having trouble finding one.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

That's the only other book I think it could be. I couldn't find an image either, so I guess I'm just going to have to see if it's still there.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home