Thursday, September 14, 2006

George Clooney and Elie Wiesel


I feel so bad for letting the blog fall into disarray. Seriously. I didn't think that it would get this bad. My classes have been keeping me pretty busy. My poli sci and journalism classes are so far the most interesting of all of them. My math class is fairly interesting. It's going to be a blend of history, which I enjoy immensely, and problem-solving, which I don't enjoy at all. I can't wait to go home to find Mark and bug him about math. My math prof is totally quirky and interesting. I enjoy him.

Today in journalism, we spent a lot of the first half discussing the coverage of the shootings in Montreal yesterday. We were looking at why, and how different networks have gone about covering it. We watched some video from the CNN website. A lot of the things raised, sensationalism and right to know what the extent of something is, were things that I've thought before. So, my mind is being molded further into thinking of stories and how to tell them. I think that having my lit course while I have this is going to be a big help. A lot of that course is dealing with structure and connecting things.

I've really slipped up at trying to keep my opinions on things and my snarky comments in order as pertaining to news stories. I've been watching Andy every night with my roommate, but most of the time I have something else to read or to write, so I can't pay a lot of attention. I will say this though: I am incredibly disappointed that Anderson did not mention the role of Canadian troops in Afghanistan. Canadian Forces have taken over all allied troops in southern Afghanistan, and there is Canadian presence in Afghanistan. Not to mention, he didn't bother to even touch the issue of friendly fire. That's a story I think the press is simply ignoring, especially the American press.

I am incredibly excited for the interview with George Clooney. I hope that Clooney talks extensively about what's happening in Darfur, because no one seems to care unless it comes out of the mouth of a celebrity. We always say that we will never let anything like this happen again. Here it is, happening right in front of our eyes, and yet there's no news stories, no real coverage, most people have no idea what's happening over there! No one cares. These people are being slaughtered by their own government, and there is no passionate plea from the majority of people. I'm disgusted, and I know there are many other people like me who are equally disgusted. I hope that it really is Anderson doing this interview tonight, and he asks really good questions and hits home to his viewers what's happening. Someone just needs to pay attention.

Actor George Clooney and Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel appeared before the United Nations Security Council on Thursday to make an impassioned plea for immediate UN intervention in Sudan's Darfur region.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/09/14/clooney-wiesel-darfur.html

Elie Wiesel! Elie Wiesel is making a plea! Not just George Clooney. This man lived through the Second World War, he lived through Auschwitz. Read his book Night. It will make you cry. This man should be an inspiration to all of us, and this story got a tiny headline at the bottom of the CBC page. No one cares. Show someone you care, sign a petition write your member of parliament or congress, write your local paper, and wear blue on Sunday.

2 Comments:

Blogger sydney said...

Living in a border state, I too am pretty disappointed that the friendly fire issue hasn't been addressed more in the press. The most recent incident I only saw in a little blurb in the local newspaper. We have enough problems, we don't need to be killing our allies! I love going to Canada, I always feel welcome and I'd like it to stay that way.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shelse - great blog. I wonder if part of the reason Anderson doesn't cover "al the angles" is because of the people who give him access. He was embedded with the US troops and someone has to give permission for that. It also limits where they can travel and who they can talk to. When he was in the Mideast, they couldn't travel to Lebanon right away because they were in Israel and that made it more difficulat to even get to Lebanon. People didn't want to be interviewed because they figured they were American and probably figured he would only cover parts of the story that would back up the views of the Bush administration. We know it's not true, but not everyone is aware of that.

I think you should send your comments to AC360. Maybe then they will explore the issue.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home