Monday, July 31, 2006

Wednesday, July 26th's Show


I know I've been slacking hardcore on updating, BUT! I have all of notes in front of me, which I'm really rather glad I started taking or I wouldn't have anything to update with now. Hopefully, I will get all of the updates finished tonight. Unrelated mention: Coop has updated his blog.

On Wednesday's show, my favourite part was certainly the interview with Nic Kristof, a reporter and photographer for the New York Times. I became incredibly excited once I heard mention of his name, because I recognized it from his work in Darfur, something that I'm very involved with and unfortunately always takes a back seat. He was there to present the opposing view to Israel's Ambassador to the UN, Dan Gillerman.

What Nic said I completely agreed with. It was like he was talking for me. He said that by killing terrorists, we create more, a sentiment I share and have voiced on more than one occasion. By underestimating the power of nationalism, Israel is hurting its own interests and uniting the Arab world against it, which it really needs no help at doing. It's creating more anti-Israel senitment. That's what I see happening.

The one thing that Nic's opponent, Dan Gillerman, said that really stuck in my mind was that a response shouldn't be measured by Hezbollah's actions, but rather by the threat it poses. Kind of pre-emptive, you know? Very current American administrative thinking. Another thing he said that stuck out as incredibly "George Bush" logic, is that Hezbollah is a slippery slope, they could have biological and nuclear weapons if they're not stopped... This line of thinking frightens me so much. Measure by threat as opposed to action? Really? That's scary. Honest to god terrifying. Threat is so subjective. Who determines what defines being a "threat?" The dog down the street that barks viciously at me when I walk past is a threat, should I kick it or throw things at it? See what I mean by subjective? Not that Hezbollah doesn't pose a threat, because it really does, but the idea that a response should be measured on something so undefined scares me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home